how fast were drum memories?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:53:38 CDT 2018

I don't think early drums were terribly fast, but this wasn't  a problem because often they were on serial machines, and the data had to sync with the clock speed of the machine.

I know that the Manchester Mk1 which evolved from the baby had a drum added. The design of the drum used changed as the machine evolved. There is some info on this evolution here.

http://curation.cs.manchester.ac.uk/computer50/www.computer50.org/mark1/gethomas/manchester_drums.html

Its interesting to note that the size of the drum was decreased to around 6" as suggested by others.

The Ferranti Pegasus also had a drum for main storage and delay lines for "registers".
This was a physically large drum with a capacity of 5120 40 it words.

The Ferranti Pegasus the clock speed was 333Khz and this was derived from clock tracks written on the drum avoiding any sync problems.
However in order to achieve this transfer rate the designers built the tracks in pairs with alternate bits coming from different tracks..
The large diameter of the drum gave problems getting consistent flying height for the heads, which resulted in large changes in signal level.

There are notes on this here:-

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/CCS/res/res07.htm#h

and here

http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/resurrection/res42.htm#f

If any one is interested I have more pictures of the Pegasus..

Dave