(OT) Re: Is This A Shill?

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Wed May 2 11:59:40 CDT 2018

> On May 2, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> On May 2, 2018, at 09:08, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> Although eBay in the past has tried to kill off sniping because it
>> reduces the number of visits an individual might pay to their site, I
>> think they've given up with trying to kill the sniping system.
>
> If eBay really wanted to kill sniping and maximize winning bids, I think they could simply change the format from fixed ending time to automatically extending the auction period N minutes past the last bid. There would still be some benefit to a bidder for bidding late and hoping nobody notices, but there would always be a window of up to N minutes for other bidders to decide to increase their losing bid. It would end up as a a hybrid of proxy bid + live auction.

That is what the classic car auctions on Bring-A-Trailer do. Within 2 min of auction close time and thereafter, each bid extends the time 2 minutes.

I was high bidder on a car at $15k with 30 seconds to go. The price went up $10k (and someone else got the car) in the 15 min after the scheduled close time.

alan