RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Tue Mar 27 20:05:29 CDT 2018

-------- Original message --------
From: Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Date: 3/27/18  5:51 PM  (GMT-08:00)
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: RAID?  Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

How many drives would you need, to be able to set up a RAID, or hot
swappable RAUD (Redundant Array of Unreliable Drives), that could give
decent reliability with such drives?
10 -
Two sets of 5 drive  RAID 6 volumes in a RAID 1 array.
You would then need to lose 5 drives before data failure is imminent. The 6th one will do you in. If you haven't fixed 50 percent failure then you deserve to lose your data.
Disclaimer: this is my totally unscientific unprofessional and biased estimate. My daily activities of life have nothing to do with the IT industry. Proceed at your own peril. Etc. Etc.
-Ali