PATA hard disks, anyone?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Mar 27 14:44:54 CDT 2018

On 03/27/2018 09:19 AM, Ethan via cctalk wrote:

> I have a hook-up to get some older drives from another company (1.5TB,
> etc) and well... let's just say that "newer" used disks with 4 years on
> them aren't very reliable. I'd imaigne the older ones hold up much
> better since they were more expensive and less density.

Call it superstition on my part, but for other than a couple of 2TB
drives used for backup (i.e. powered and run only occasionally), my
working drives are mostly 500GB-1TB SATA models.

It's probably foolish and irrational, but I somehow just don't trust the
bargain-basement 4TB drives to perform long-term.

Am I being silly?

--Chuck