UCSD p-system manuals and disks?

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Tue Mar 20 11:28:31 CDT 2018

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:50:12 +0100
Mattis Lind via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> So I have imaged the three disks I found using ImageDisk:
> http://storage.datormuseum.se/u/96935524/Datormusuem/TEXAS.zip
>
> Then I scanned one of the manuals. UCSD Pascal :
> http://storage.datormuseum.se/u/96935524/Datormusuem/UCSD-Pascal.pdf
>
> The problem is that manual has text in red/brown and black. I scanned
> it in colour. However the actual colour of the scan varies a bit
> between pages. (Maybe because there are two sensors, one for top side
> and one for bottom side.)
> And the scan get very big.
>
> Is there a way to create filter this pdf to use three colours and
> possibly compress it better? What is the best way to deal with scans
> of documents with coloured text. I know many DEC manuals that has
> coloured text as well.
>
> /Mattis

--snip--

I use Acrobat Professional to both scan, OCR and optimize PDF's. It
works very well. I do this for many vintage manuals that had been
previously scanned that I've downloaded that have not been OCRed or
optimized. BTW: OCR works best when the manuals are scanned for color
or grey scale at 600bpi or better.

Cheers,
Lyle
--