radar history

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 16 19:03:13 CDT 2018

    > From: Steven Malikoff

    > I also have a book 'RADAR How it all began' by Jim Brown ...
    > incredibly precise recollection of the engineering

Wow, thanks for that incredibly valuable pointer. My copy just arrived, and
it's fabulous; it documents in great detail a part of the story that's
little-known, which is the industrialization of the early radar work. There
are a number of books from people on the research side (Watson-Watt, Bowen,
etc), but not much on the industrial side.

There is an obscure book:

    Frank Rowlinson, "Contribution to Victory: An Account of Some of the
	Special Work of the Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Company Limited
	in the Second World War", Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Company,
	Manshester, 1947

(which covers a lot of stuff, not just the radar work), but it doesn't have a
lot of technical detail. What it _does_ have a lot of large, excellent B+W
photos of the early CH, CHL etc transmitters (which MetroVick built), but not
much technical detail of them. That book, and Brown's book, are a marvellous
pairing, since he has the detailed description, but no images! A very
complementary pairing.

	Noel