AlphaServers

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Mar 14 17:01:12 CDT 2018

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018, Zane Healy wrote:

> I’ve been using the HP SFF systems.  I think the i5 I got specifically
> to run SIMH is a 6300.  It’s an i5-3470 3.2Ghz system with 4 GB RAM.  I
> had to add a hard drive, but had an old 500GB drive laying around.
> That’s plenty big to backup and migrate the data on my Compaq XP1000
> running OpenVMS 8.3 to.  It’s not a modern system, but it’s newer by far
> than any of my real VMS hardware.  To me the key thing is, it only cost
> $75.

Ah, ok.  So you're using little desktop boxes for it.  You might want to
look into an R710 then.  I paid around $350 for mine (no drives) and it
came with a pair of Xeon 5570 CPUs at 2.93 Ghz and 32GB of RAM.  I dropped
four Western Digital 2TB Red SATA drives into it and it goes like a
scalded cat.  I've got three Win7x64, four Linux servers, one MacOS and
one FreeBSD instance running on it.  The average power consumption is
around 173 watts according to ESXi.  I may have to try SIMH on there as
well, but the only PAKs I have are for MicroVMS 4 if memory serves...

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007