AlphaServers

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Mar 13 00:15:12 CDT 2018

I have a Compaq XP1000/667 that’s my primary VMS system.  I picked up a couple XP1000’s a little over a decade ago when they were affordable, as a replacement for my AlphaStation 433au.  I need a new power supply for the /500.  I think the days of hobbyist-friendly prices are largely gone.

Realistically the XP1000 and it’s two external JBOD pull a lot more power than I like, and I’ve been working to migrate much of my VMS activity to a SIMH/VAX cluster that the XP1000 is now part of.  Once that’s done, I’m considering seeing about reviving one of my AlphaStation 200 4/233’s as a “lower power” VMS workstation.  The one AlphaStation 200 used to run OpenBSD, nearly 20 years ago.  Other than that I’ve used them for VMS.

Oh, and I do keep one Physical VAX running, it’s a VAXstation 4000/60.  I have other VAXen and Alpha’s, but they aren’t doing anything.

Zane