radar history

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 16:37:34 CST 2018

> The one described in the RH is a "split anode magnetron".   The note on
> it says that "frequency stability is not very good:.

Yes, but in World War 2 (and a little into the 1950s), split anode
magnetrons were used in ECM "jammer" transmitters.

> It's my understanding that the allies used the cavity magnetron and the
> axis used klystrons for their transmitters.

The Germans only used cavity magnetrons in a few radars towards the
end of the war. Post 1943 or so, with the air war flipped with Germany
of the defensive, microwave radar really was not a big advantage to
them. Nearly all German radars used triodes, which worked fine for the
VHF air search radars they needed. They could have used magnetrons for
better gun laying radars for antiaircraft use, but the UHF radars they
had were actually pretty good (FuMG 39 Wurzburg and related).

The Japanese used cavity magnetrons for some of their Naval radars,
but they were hampered by poor receivers.

--
Will