radar history

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 02:35:06 CST 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 12:46 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I dunno about these historical accounts.
>
> I was watching a PBS program about RADAR and the magnetron was made out
> to be a super-secret device, yet there's a clear explanation of it in my
> 1942 "Radio Handbook".
>
> --Chuck

For a non-sensationalized accounting that tracks developments, and personalities, over the course of many decades of developments and spin-offs, try:

    The Invention That Changed the World:
    How a Small Group of Radar Pioneers Won the Second World War and Launched a Technical Revolution
    (1998; Touchstone; 576 pp)

    Authored by Robert Buderi, former technology editor for Business Week.

Yes, quite an over-the-top title ... but the content isn't that way at all, IMO.  It stacks up quite well against academic treatises on related topics (e.g., Whirlwind) published by MIT Press.

-----
paul