Thicknet/10base5 Test Segment: The Cable is In!

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jun 26 13:37:51 CDT 2018

    > From: Paul Koning

    > I believe the original concept was just a probe that would poke through
    > the cable to contact the center connector. The drill came because the
    > cable was too tough to penetrate without it.

No, the original 3 Mbit Ethernet also used a 'drill' (actually, a cylindrical
cutter which screwed into the thread of the tap housing; threading which was
then used to screw in the transceiver).

Anyway, there has to be a hole cut _through_ the cylindrical ground layer
(foil, or woven wire) around the center conductor. If you just stuck a probe
into the cable to the center conductor, it would short it out.

	Noel