For anybody who will be arriving at VCF the night before:

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Jul 30 16:44:07 CDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 20:00:50 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Computer History Museum" <marcom at computerhistory.org>
Subject:
     =?utf-8?Q?Up=20Next=20=E2=94=82General=20Magic=20Film=20Screening=20&=20Pane
     l=20Discussion=2C=208=2F3?=

Film Screening 🎥 and Panel Discussion with Marc Porat, Andy Hertzfeld, Megan Smith, and Michael Stern

https://www.facebook.com/computerhistory/

https://twitter.com/computerhistory

https://www.instagram.com/computerhistory/

http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/

** Friday Nights @CHM

** General Magic

** Film Screening and Panel Discussion with Marc Porat, Andy Hertzfeld, Megan Smith & Michael Stern
>From the smartphones that sit in our pockets to an array of technologies we take for granted today, many of the ideas that now dominate the tech industry and our day-to-day lives were born in 1989 at a Silicon Valley startup most of us have never heard of General Magic.

Extraordinary creativity, remarkable breakthroughs, fierce competition, hubris and heartbreaking betrayal dominated behind the scenes of General Magic. While some never recovered from the failure that accompanied its downfall and bankruptcy, others went on to soar. The lessons learned at General Magic were instrumental in the creation of the iPod, iPhone, Android, eBay, even in the corridors of President Obama’s White House. And although General Magic died, the concepts and the people who worked there went on to change how the world connects today.

Described by Forbes as “The most important dead company in Silicon Valley” and combining rare archive footage with contemporary stories of the General Magicians today, this documentary tracks the progress of anytime, anywhere communication from a thing of sci-fi fiction to our modern day reality.

Join us for a special screening of this fascinating documentary followed by a panel discussion with former "magicians" Marc Porat, Andy Hertzfeld, Michael Stern, and Megan Smith.

Exhibits are free to all event attendees.

Join us for Friday Nights @CHM before and after the program! Enjoy food and drinks from Catered Too and extended exhibit hours from 5 to 9 p.m.

Learn More (http://www.computerhistory.org/events/upcoming/#general-magic)  or Register Now (http://connect.computerhistory.org/pages/events/2018-08-general-magic)

** When
Friday, August 3, 2018