400Hz supplies; was: RK05 spindle pulleys - trade 50Hz vs 60Hz?

Ed Sharpe couryhouse at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 13:51:27 CDT 2018

smecc has  stashed a  huge  mother gen  set    115  60cy  in  115 400 cy  out.
was used to  run    rca avq  10  raradr.... we  have.... but  could  run many   many things... it is  huge,,, these things exist out there  if  you need one,....

Ed#  www.smecc.org
In a message dated 7/26/2018 9:36:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time, cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk

<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 07/26/2018 08:26 AM, Tony Duell wrote:
>
>> I believe if you want to be pedantic that a motor-generator set is a motor
>> (with an armature/rotor and a field/stator) mechanically coupled to a
>> generator (with its own armature/rotor and field/stator) whereas a
>> dynamotor has a common field/stator (and possibly both armature
>> windings have to be wound on the same core).
>
> Hence my term "unitized", which I thought to give the basic idea without
> going into excessive detail on an obsolete device.

This is classiccmp. We 'do' obsolete devices here :-)

> In connection with similar low-power high-voltage supplies, I could also
> have mentioned vibrator-transformer supplies, run from DC battery, used
> very often in lower-power tube gear, such as auto radios and even photo
> strobe flash.

Indeed. I've never seen a photoflash using such a supply, but I have read
about them. One day I'll add one to my collection.

They were commonly used in car radios over here too.

> The high-voltage DC was obtained from the transformer secondary by
> either a traditional tube (very often cold cathode gas) rectifier, later

0Z4 IiIRC wa a common rectifier valve.

> solid-state (selenium or silicon) or an additional set of contacts on
> the vibrator itself. Notorious for kicking up all sorts of RF noise.

The latter was known as a 'synchronous vibrator' (at least over here)
as the 2 sets of contacts were synchronised to (a) apply a pulse to one
end of the primary winding and (b) select the appropriate end of
the secondary which will have an high voltage pulse of the correct
polarity.

A mad friend of mine commented that a google search for a spare
part for his car radio directed him to an awful lot of 'adult' sites...

-tony