how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Jul 23 05:03:07 CDT 2018

Grumpy Ol' Fred wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> > I'd almost forgotten about that old chestnut.  Fortunately, Snopes
> > remembers:
> > https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bewaring-of-the-green/
>
> But, what about using a gold USB cable?

Only if it is pure gold.  None of this plated nonsense.

> Surely the quality of the power filtration must make a difference.

Well, if we are talking audio, maybe there would be a hum if it is not
filtered right.

However, my one time boss once told me that he had a friend who was an
audio nut who swore the sound from his amplifier was better when he
swapped the live and neutral wires in the mains plug...

> And, what about the SOURCE of the power?  Wouldn't discs be more reliable
> if the drive is driven by solar power, rather than nuclear?

Surely rotating discs have to perform better when driven by power that comes
from a rotating machine, unless someone has been stupid enough to have the
discs rotate in the opposite direction to the power generator...

> Vibrations are an obvious culprit.  That can be easily proven by
> beating on drums on the table where the drive is.  The burning should be
> done in an acoustically sealed environment.

Or the drumming should be done in an oxygen free, airtight environment.
(There may be a brief period of instability at the beginning but things
should quickly settle down.)

> Light leakage mmust also affect it.  All burning should be done in total
> darkness, although some claim that a #10 safelight should be OK.

If you can't see the disc turning, how can you know it has been burnt!

:-)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.