An historical nit about FDDs

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Thu Jul 12 13:02:25 CDT 2018

Hi Chuck

I agree it is easy to convert but I am surprised that a start-up would have the guts to change the "standard," whether it was Memorex, Potter or Century.  I think before the 33FD Memorex was the market leader but I could be wrong.  I've asked some SA founders the question.  Does anyone know any Potter or Century FDD people from the early 70s?

The early HDD interfaces I am aware of used a control cable with an 8-bit bus and a set of tag lines to define the bus - much more expensive to implement than the Step In/Step Out.

Regards,

Tom