ultrasonic cleaning for disk heads

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:08:31 CST 2018

> On Jan 27, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> As I'd never be able to find a similar alignment pack, the heads in mine would have to stay put for
> cleaning. Thus I'm wondering whether it would be possible to place the drive vertically so the heads
> point down, and use one of those el-cheapo miniature jewellery ultrasonic cleaners plentiful on eBay
> to dip the heads into the isopropyl alcohol, in situ?

That's quite a clever idea! I would try it. Caveat is that I had a so-so experience with the cheaper ultrasonic cleaners - they just didn't have the oomph, which is why I finally invested in the big one with the heater. But it might work OK with enough time, and it can't possibly hurt. It would make for a great video!

Marc