Apollo Software

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Tue Jan 23 09:44:24 CST 2018

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 9:33 AM, jim stephens via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The real work was done in the back rooms @ Mission control, with certain features implemented on the systems onboard the rocket.
>
> You couldn't carry out a mission w/o the ground supporting either system with computations to the onboard systems.  You didn't punch in the address of the moon on any system onboard the rocket, you got pre-computed parameters from ground  computations that the flight computers carried out.

That’s exactly what I was trying to point out. What we have is a relatively small piece of the entire puzzle. People seem to think that just because a few versions of CM and LM software exist all is saved and done, but it’s really only the user interface to a much larger stack. You can't just fire up the AGC and push the “land on the moon” button. You can run it by itself and look at the idle loop or display the clock but getting it to actually DO anything close to its original tasks requires input from a lot of missing pieces. We aren’t trying to just run it in a box, that’s been done. We’re making it FLY.

> I'm not getting your "absolutely wrong" part.

He said "The Saturn IBM firmware is lost, but was under command of the LM and CM computers”. This is absolutely wrong. It was the other way around.