Sun3 valuations?

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 22 11:57:54 CST 2018

On 2018-Jan-22, at 1:24 AM, Pete Lancashire via cctalk wrote:
> My interest would be from having the first Sun systems in the Portland
> Oregon area. It consisted of a 3/260 w a Fujitsu Eagle, and a 90 ips 9
> track that I cant remember the make.
> Tied to it where 3 3/50s. Initially diskless then I added a 40 MB drive to
> each of them.
>
> Networked into the companies network, tapped into on of the yellow coaxes
> up in the ceiling.
>
> I all was for running Interleaf. Oh yea printing was via a Imagin (sp?)
> print engine.

The early 'compact' laser printer ca. 1984 (table-top sized as opposed to the 20sqft of floor space of the 1st gen of laser printers)?
My recollection is it was "Imagen".
I took it as incorporating "image", and "generate" or "engine" (my perception).

We had one in the CS department. Nice for the time, but required regular cleaning/maintenance, dept. tech guy would roll his eyes - " . . again?"

Wasn't the internal controller the early Sun processor board (basically a 68000 single-board computer that preceded or was used in the Sun 1), or am I conflating things? (We had a Sun 1 quite early as well).