IP address classes vs CIDR (was Re: Reviving ARPAnet)

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu Jan 18 15:12:05 CST 2018

On 01/18/2018 12:53 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> Proxy ARP is (or was, at the time) something that had to be configured
> for individual IP addresses or ranges. What I did was have it reply to an
> ARP for any IP address outside the subnet(s) configured on that interface.

Intriguing.

I guess this means that you only heard ARP requests for IP addresses
that other systems in the same broadcast domain thought were local to
said broadcast domain.

You wouldn't need to worry about errant ARP requests for things outside
of the local subnet as that would go through the default gateway (or
other defined router).

I like it.

> Yes. Specifically IPv4.

*nod*

> The point of bozo-arp and anyipd was that the only necessary configuration
> was to turn it on. Of course, there may be scenarios in which one does
> not want the router to respond to bogus ARP requests, in which case
> bozo-arp/anyipd should not be used.

Like all tools, you have to be careful where you do use it.  -  I'd
default with it off (or not installed) and  turn it on as necessary.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die