Large discs (Was: Spectre & Meltdown

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Jan 4 20:38:10 CST 2018

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018, TeoZ wrote:
> Hard drives NEVER keep up. Bragging about how many DVD's (90's technology)
> you can store on current HD means little to people who have ultra HD Blueray
> videos that take up to 100GB of space. Heck even a single game download can
> be 50GB these days.

I'd be interested in hearing about opinions of the 100GB "M-disc".  I've
heard that they have decent longevity, and, the "low" capacity ones are
interchangeable with conventional DVDs.

I can still put 20 100GB DVDs (2017 technology) on a 2TB 2.5" Thin SATA.
However, I'm also looking for multi-terabyte storage.
Are higher capacity DVDs on their way?
Howzbout multi-TearByte SSDs?

> And I wouldn't mind one of those old networked DVD changers (I think Sony
> sold them commercially) to play around with.

I still want one of the ones that Kieth Hensen designed. Converting it
from CD to DVD would be completely TRIVIAL (finding DVD drives with
suitable form factors and loading options)

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com