Dumping my first EPROM

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 13:59:41 CST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 12:13 PM, Brad H via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Thanks Paul.  I found an srec2bin converter and ran that.. it created a 1K
> bin file.  I then opened that with a hex editor (slick edit).. but alas, no
> readable strings.

Not too surprising, since AFAIK the basic Dynamicro doesn't have any ASCII
I/O. Next step would be to run the binary file through an 8080 (or Z80)
disassembler. I use z80dasm, which is provided as C source code:

https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/articles/z80dasm/

but there are many others to choose from.

Without the disassembler, just looking at the object code in hex, you might
see whether there's a pattern in the first 64 bytes of each 8 byte group
containing a few bytes of code then zeros. That's common (but not
universal) in 8080/Z80 code because the reset vector is at address 00, and
the RST instruction vectors are at 00, 08, 10, 18, 20, 28, 30, and 38
hexadecimal.