Help diagnosing boot issue SWTPC 6800

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Mon Jan 1 16:51:53 CST 2018

You should also verify that you have solid +8V and +/- 12V on the
backplane.

In one of my SWTPC 6800 machines, I found that the white Molex connector
on the power supply filter board had degraded contacts that over time
(a long time!) where heating and actually melted some of the connector
shell, made the contacts further crappy and resulted in too much drop
in the +8V rail so that all the downstream regulators weren't happy.

I replaced the on-board connector with one on wires, repaired the toasted
PCB and now the machine runs fine again.  The new connector floats in
the air a few inches above the PCB and this actually makes it easier to
plug and unplug if needed.

Chris

--
Chris Elmquist