Boot RXS

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jan 1 12:35:38 CST 2018

    > From: John Welch

    > SAV -- SOFTWARE CONFIGURED FOR ENABLE HARDWARE WHICH DOES NOT RESPOND.
    > HALTED.
    > Does anyone have any hints on how I can guess what I need to add?

Well, Able made a thing called an 'Able ENABLE' which allowed use of more
than 256KB of physical memory on any UNIBUS -11 with memory mapping hardware
which wasn't an -11/70-44-24. That's probably what it's talking about.

We had one on our -11/45 at MIT, BITD. So I have the programming spec for it,
back-created from the source code for that machine. And Clem Cole was nice
enough to follow up on an old message in an email list archive, and dig up
some documentation and scan it in.

I was planning on doing a page for it on the Computer History wiki, haven't
got a round tuit yet, though.

They are, AFAIK, complete unobtainium in physical form; I've been looking for
years, never seen one.

If someone wanted to upgrade SIMH to support it, we do know enough to do that.

	Noel