Intel 8085 - interview?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Feb 9 15:24:11 CST 2018

On 02/09/2018 12:26 PM, allison via cctalk wrote:

> IBM PC early also did that... other vendors of the 8088 didn't work
> in the 64K and early 256K IBM PCs due to a slight timing variation
> that reputedly intel helped design in.  One gate fixed it but it was
> undocumented thing you could getaway with only with Intel 8088s.

Hmm, must have been *very* early PCs, as mine had an AMD 8088 in it--but
wasn't AMD a licensee of the Intel part?   But then, so was NEC.

I think IMSAI used the "different" NEC 8080s in their floppy controller,
as they were inexpensive (because of the incompatibility) and in the
particular application, it didn't matter.

I do recall very early 8085s having a "reset" bug, necessitating some
external glue, but it's been too long for me to remember the details.

--Chuck