Maxtor full-height 5.25" drives of death

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Feb 9 15:18:43 CST 2018

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, js--- via cctalk wrote:
> A tangential question out of curiosity: who here has 5.25" MFM drives
> they're extremely surprised are still working, and which model(s)?
> I'll start.  I've quite a few MFM drives, but the ones that really surprise
> me are (2) Seagate ST-506, and (2) IMI CM-5412.   My surprise is b/c these
> are amongst the earliest of models.

One factor may be that the earliest models were new attempts, and tended
to be very carefully engineered, and often conservatively, due to lack of
prior experience.  On the later drives, they had "learned" and "realized"
some of the corners that they could cut.  "On analysis of failed drives
from various problems, it is clear that none of the failed drives were
even halfway through the life of the lubricants.  Therefore, cheaper
lubricants and smaller quantities with half the expected life would still
be adequate to outlast, on average, the other components."?

> I've performed *some* work on all these drives, such as cleaning and caps
> reforming, but haven't yet discovered a way to lube motors & bearings.   I
> think lube issues will spell their ultimate demise.

One of the first corners to cut, once analysis of failed units from other
causes shows that it is outlasting the rest of the unit.

In addition, of course, some lubricants can deteriorate, whereas many
other components may have no significant impact from time.  Lubricants can
fail from contaminants that would not affect most other components.