How to enable USB drives in both Windows 98SE AND MS-DOS 7.1.

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 00:27:03 CST 2018

Here you go:

Networking between Win98 and Win7

On Windows 7, using regedit, set
        “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel” to “1”
	You might need to create the new entry under \lsa as a REG_DWORD, set to 1

On the Win98 machine:
        You have to install the Active Directory Extension, part of
	the unofficial service pack 3 which you have to download
        It's the first option on the install. I installed just that.

Then from there it's regular stuff: put the machines on the same workgroup name, enable sharing of your folders, permissions, etc...

From Win7, the Win98 machine appears in the Network, just click on it to browse the shares

From Win98, Win7 is not accessible from the Network Neighborhood. You have to type
	directly the share address in an Explorer toolbar window like so
	\\Workshop\SharedFolder
	I had to shorten my share names for this to work, long names did not work.
Marc