SuperTerm Maintenance Manual

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Feb 1 13:11:03 CST 2018

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 1:56 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2018, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>> I guess they trusted the disk enough.  Normal practice would be to save the dayfile to a regular disk file periodically (perhaps as part of daily maintenance), at which point you could print it, or archive it to tape, or whatever else comes to mind.
>
> Was there typically any other way to access the disk file, such as if the system were down?
> It could be useful in troubleshooting, such as if the system were down.

Not that I know of.  The file system structure was quite trivial so it would be easy to write a standalone inspect tool but I don't remember any such thing.

> At least they would not have had "Help" to suggest, "If the system will not IPL/Boot, then run Troubleshooting Wizard"

That at least isn't an issue, since deadstart (CDC for "IPL") was traditionally done from magnetic tape, and could also load from other media if needed.

	paul