More old stuff incoming

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Dec 21 21:09:22 CST 2018

> On Dec 21, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/21/18 3:30 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
>> I’m afraid I’ll have to agree with Jim here.  When talking about Retro Gaming, in most cases, the Raspberry Pi, while better than nothing, aren’t as good as the real thing, especially in regards to video and audio.
>
> There's nothing to be afraid of.
>
> I was asking from a position of ignorance because I've not used either. I have some colleagues at work that use the Raspberry Pi.  So I know of, but not about, it.

The Raspberry Pi’s are a pretty impressive little tool for situations where they have enough resources.  For the purpose of emulation, they’re a great platform.  The problem is less with the Raspberry Pi, and more with emulation as a whole.  In other words, this is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

>> Now despite what I just said about the Raspberry Pi, I have three of them around here, one is a small VAX running OpenVMS 7.3, one is a DPS-8 running Multics, and the other a KL-10B running TOPS-20.  I had dreams of building a VMS cluster of RPi 3+’s, but have kind of gone off that idea, due to the superior performance I get using my VMware Cluster to host VAX instances.
>
> I'll have to check out the DPS-8 and KL-10B.

For the PDP-10, my favorite is KLH10.
http://www.avanthar.com/healyzh/decemulation/pdp10emu.html

For the DPS-8, there really is only one option, and sadly GCOS-8 isn’t available, only Multics.  Still it’s pretty cool to finally be able to use Multics, and it’s a lot more user friendly than GCOS-8 (I used to be a Systems Analyst at a DPS-8 mainframe site).
http://www.avanthar.com/healyzh/decemulation/Honeywell_DPS-8.html

For those unaware, my DEC Emulation pages had to move late last year, due to my ISP of ~20 years being ransacked by a Crook.  I managed to do quite a bit of work updating the pages earlier this year.

Zane