Want/Available list

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Fri Dec 21 09:04:46 CST 2018

> On Dec 20, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/20/18 6:59 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
>> Websites are a huge inconvenience or imposition, email lists are not.
>
> I like Usenet too.
>
> I really like all three to be the same content.  That way people can participate what ever way they like best.

I like Usenet as well, I find it a better medium than any website.  Though the main group that still seems active is comp.os.vms.  I finally figured out how to get back on about a year ago.

> I think at least part of that is because a lot of people naively think that email is for communicating with friends that don't use the same social media and is otherwise generally broadcast only.  A lot of people I talk to don't view email as interactive communications / dialog.  In my not so humble opinion, that's their loss.

I find there is little or no value in Social Media, on the other hand there is real value in email.  One of those values is the ability to build archives of knowledge independent of any given website.  Having said that, I recently needed some info from CLASSICCMP from the late 90’s, and couldn’t find it on my computer.  Either the files are missing, or else it’s just because Mail.app is so pathetic about searching.

Zane