Which DEC machine made use of th pre Flip-Chip board?

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Fri Dec 21 07:25:39 CST 2018

At 04:49 AM 12/21/2018, Mattis Lind via cctalk wrote:
>There is an auction for some kind of early DEC module. It appears to be a
>bit slice of MB, AR and MQ. There is also a signature by Gordon Bell on the
>board.

Back in 2006 I asked Gordon Bell to confirm the provenance
of a similar board that I bought on eBay in 2001.  See below.

- John

From: "Gordon Bell" <gbell at microsoft.com>
To: "John Foust" <jfoust at threedee.com>

Yes.
I signed the PDP-6, 4 register, bit slice board in the photo.
It came from the Computer Museum in Boston where it was sold in their store

Let me be clear The Computer Museum (TCM) was NEVER called the Boston Computer Museum...
Boston was a temporary home when computing passed through New England, but the city itself gave nothing to it.

I don't believe the origin can be traced to any machine, since there were no serial numbers, and the modification level would also be too hard to correlate with any time or place.
The Museum got a large number of spares and scraps of all kinds from Digital and it was undoubtedly one of those.
To my knowledge, the museum has never engaged in gutting machines for components, although I would happily agree that this is a good idea when we have duplicates and crippled or partial artifacts.

As a former collector, founder, and board member of the Digital Computer Museum > The Computer Museum >> current Computer History Museum (a name I deplore and that exists only because of the way the Museum left Boston) I have always been a strong advocate of getting as many artifacts into as many hands as possible, and this includes selling museum artifacts when appropriate.  In essence a whole industry of museums and collectors is essential.

Incidentally, at one point there was a flame in pre-blog days about the tragedy of the museum selling boards, etc. in which I never engaged.
As someone who has contributed about $10 million as well as time, etc. to this endeavor, I can only shake my head... and wonder where those folks were when the museum needed their financial and time support.

The lovely ending is that the museum finally has a wonderful home and caring environment with lots of people that support it with love, time, and money.
Hope you have or intend to visit it in Mountain View.

I trust I have your own financial support and trust you are a member there, too.
See <http://www.computerhistory.org/>www.computerhistory.org