Want/Available list

Carlo Pisani carlojpisani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 16:22:50 CST 2018

> I guess I might as well ask, since I've been wondering: What does the name
> "downthebunker" mean?
> Is it a reference to something? I'm not even sure how a bunker could be gone "down"

the computer room is located 10 meters underground in a room which
looks like a mini bunker. But it's not relevant, it's just a name for
a website.

> And why the .xyz TLD? I don't know much about it
> but it always looks really sketchy to me.

When you put a server to the internet you have an IP and you want to
be reached by an URL you have to pay someone for the service. We found
a cheap service offering a domain, and the "xyz," is what they offered
for the lowest price possible (10 euro/year) since dot com and dot org
cost more money (50-100 or more).

We already pay for the electricity and we are not hosting any
advertising service, thus .. a cheap domain is what we consider "good"
for us.

What is really worrying is the number of spammers attacking the
server(1) and the fact that people are not seriously using a resource,
sometimes for the reason that we are obliged to declare the GPDR
agreement, or for the reason, we are not offering HTTPS.

Some of these guys are on facebook where they claim the platform is
even more difficult to be used for the purpose of discussing things
rather than ... watching a gallery of pics

And some of them still want a bazaar, sort of (person-to-person) way
to sell/buy/trade retro computer stuff, but then they only go to the
eBay, complaining that it's too expensive for both the seller and the
buyer (due to the money you have to give to eBay, I guess).

That's the time it was, funny and weird at the same time.

(1) this caused a few services to be dropped, e.g. we needed to drop
the MessageWall because it was bombarded by spam and trolling.
MessageWall was implemented in PHP by us and it was not so robust,
therefore we are now limiting the usage and offering a chat channel on
Discord which is more robust and managed by others.