More old stuff incoming

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Dec 19 11:42:22 CST 2018

On 12/19/2018 03:57 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> The original model 30 was an 8086, and not even a great one -- it didn't
> have true VGA, for instance.

The original IBM PC / AT / XT didn't have VGA either.  So that seems par
for the generation of the processor.  (At least as I understand /
remember it.)

> It was also available in a small-form-factor all-in-one case as the
> Model 25:

I always liked the PS/2 cases.  Just about every one I've seen is tool
less down to, and sometimes including, the system planar (as IBM called it).

> Easily mistaken for a PS/1. That got me a lot of abuse on Twitter
> recently.

The only PS/1 that I've ever seen was a pizza box and had a folding door
to cover the 5¼ bay.

> They're sort of not "real" PS/2s because they have the AT bus, not
> MicroChannel. I think the 30-286 could run OS/2 though.

IMHO, it's a PS/2 if it has an IBM PS/2 badge.  The PS/2 line covered a
LOT of territory.

> The same case (or very nearly) was reused for the Model 55SX. I actually
> have one of these.

I cut my teeth on a 55SX.  I may reacquire one some day.

> It's a "true" PS/2 with MCA. I hope to get an old version of OS/2 2 or
> 3 going on mine some time.

I know that I've run OS/2, OS/2 Warp, and Windows 95, all loaded off of
floppy disks on my model 80 that I had at the time.  I've also had
NetWare on multiple of them.

I want to try to get AIX 1.3 on the model 70 that I have now.

I'm the masochist that will configure Token Ring for it.  }:-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die