Looking for a home for most issues of BYTE Magazine

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sat Dec 15 12:14:03 CST 2018

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 11:54 PM, Randy Dawson <rdawson16 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Zane, your comments are appreciated.
>
> I have paid for subscriptions to ebooks that cost ~10 a month, and they are OK for text, but when a schematic comes up, it sucks (scribd) you cant zoom or increase the resolution.
> I also follow you on your purchase experience with out of print and search.
> I am dumb or spend hours on search, then find it and think everybody already knows but me.  Most recent all the Dr. Dobbs and Byte, Pop Sci online I only found recently.
> I suppose there is money to be made if you can check in your morals.  I see all this (now) public domain type stuff (including Al's bitsavers manuals) for sale on ebay DVDs.
> The unwashed will be relieved from their dollars.
>
> Randy

Now you’re touching on something that really ticks me off, and I’ve seen it done using Google Books, and others (the book I bought before I knew what was going on was done using a Google Books scan).  That’s the growing market on “Print On Demand” books done using these scans.  Many of these books are still covered under the original copywrite.   And of course, there are the folks selling the CD’s and DVD’s on eBay.

The people offering “reproductions" for sale in these fashions harm the community as a whole.

It also makes it rather challenging to find original copies for sale, as you have to wade through so many of these offerings.

Zane