Market improving for monitors?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Dec 7 13:18:56 CST 2018

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 2:06 PM, Ethan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> On a recent Reddit thread someone claimed that old PC monitors
>> and tube TVs are rising in popularity and price due to retro gamers.
>> Is this true?
>
> SOME TVs. Not every TV. The gamers want the pro broadcast video monitors that have RGB inputs. Sony PVM and the like. Search ebay for Sony PVM RGB and you will see some.
>
> Digital TVs usually have to buffer a frame before displaying it so displayed images are one frame behind (or more.) Old games were authored for their look on a CRT, so on LCDs you can see compression color artifacts and whatever else.

I know digital TV is compressed, but I didn't think that the video link from the TV machinery to the display is compressed.  That's HDMI, which is a derivative of DVI, which is an uncompressed pixel stream.  Or am I confused?  You don't get compression artifacts when displaying computer displays on an LCD panel.

Does a plain LCD panel have delay?  If not, what about a TV used as a monitor?  My new 4k TV can display HDMI from my laptop.  But it offers to do image processing on it, which I turned off because I don't want my display messed with.  That suggests it might be doing buffering in order to have a chance to do that manipulation.

	paul