Picking tubular locks (WAS : Text encoding Babel. now PICKING LOCKS OR FINDING KEY MFR AND KEY #

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Dec 2 21:06:06 CST 2018

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018, ethan at 757.org wrote:
> I had one of those tools and it ran about $70. You had to buy a separate one
> for each size and pin count. Could add up. It was all pretty tight size wise,
> machining it would be possible if you precision tools but I don't think you
> could make one easily with a dremel grinding wheel or anything.

Having a complete set for ALL tubular locks, not just Chicago Ace, would
require a lot.  Not so for the COMMON ones.
Other outside diameters are quite rare.
99+%?  are 7 pin with 7.0, 7.3, 7.5, or 7.8mm center hole, and with the
Chicago Ace standard depths.
Using a 7.5mm center hole tool on a 7.3 lock requires a little more skill,
or figuring out a way to shim the center hole.
A set of 3: 7.0, 7.5, 7.8 on eBay, . . .
in the "race to the bottom", you can find the set of 3 for $20!
MORE, if you want quality.

> I was trying to talk a friend into starting a website where you could order
> tubular keys cut by robot by number but he didn't seem interested. *shrug*

There already are mail-order code-cutting locksmiths

Do they get enough volume to call for automating it more than a worker
confirming the center hole size and setting the 7 depths?