Epson HX-20, TRS-80 Model 100 Capacitor Kits

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Wed Aug 29 02:31:09 CDT 2018

Hi Alexandre,

I very much disagree with your NEVER use a drill comment and add more
solder w/heat for several reasons, valid at least for someone who knows
what they are doing.

First, the little information I could find on the solder corrosion
caused by leaky electrolytic capacitors suggested a salt compound is
formed that mere heating and adding solder won't remove. I'd love to
hear more about this problem and what this residue actually is!

The problem with "keep heating" is the bond between the copper and the
substrate is substantially weakened by heat making it MUCH easier to
damage the PCB by lifting traces, remove the plated thru holes copper,
etc. Not sure about high temperature substrates such as Kapton, but that
isn't what we are talking about here.

Also notice I used the words "pin vise" and "#62 drill." The idea is to
use a drill small enough that will remove the residue from the hole
having enough clearance without removing the copper from the PTH. It
seems reasonable once there is a hole to solder again and see if the
hole can be cleaned out.

We lost power at the house today (electric company maintenance) so I
didn't have a chance to play around more. Also I do have "professional"
experience with printed circuit boards as I was a field engineer who
worked in many printed circuit facilities around the US, and owned my
own PCB manufacturing company in a previous life.

All that said, I still think using SMD might be the safest way to
replace the caps while minimizing the chance of damage to the printed
circuit board.

Marvin