ISO: Blue (usually) Silicone? tape retainer material

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 08:08:47 CDT 2018

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 9:54 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Another open-reel tape query for the experts.
>
> I recall that new tapes would often come with a strip of (usually blue)
> silicone-ish tape to retain the end of the tape.  I've got a couple of
> strips here and I'll swear that I've seen the stuff in other
> applications, but memory fails me.
>
> It's not sticky in itself, but sticks quite nicely to mylar tape.
> Easily removed and indefinitely reusable.
>
> I think I've seen it in kids' toys of the era, where various patterned
> pieces were cut from the stuff and assembled on something akin to a
> whiteboard.
>
> Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Do you know what the stuff is and
> where I can get some?

I don't know what the material is; vinyl would be a guess.

Yes, I remember those toys from the 1960s.  The ones we had were pre-cut in various shapes, animals and such, and we would stick them on the windows of the home or car.

For tapes, they would come on DECtape (supplied by DEC with the reel); I don't think I've seen them much on 1/2 inch tape though they would work there, provided you have the shiny substrate rather than the matt (3M style) one.  At DEC these things were known as LBT: "Little Blue Thing".

	paul