TRS-80 Fragmentation

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Apr 27 10:33:56 CDT 2018

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018, Geoffrey Oltmans via cctalk wrote:
> heard that the CRT sold for the Model I had some safety concerns? I think
> that was just a rebadged RCA TV set with the tuner section removed?

Yes
Although I think that it is likely that Tandy bought them before a tuner
was put in, rather than remove already installed tuners.

In early episodes of "Married With Children", you can see that model of TV
on Al Bundy's kitchen counter.   (off-white, not battleship gray/"Mercedes
Silver")

The signal cable for it comes out of the hole where the volume control
would have been.

The open area where the tuner would have been is large enough to mount
a full-height floppy with a small power supply and a mumetal shield.

> Supposedly the RFI restrictions is one of the reasons that Apple didn't
> include an RF modulator under the hood (and presumably TI on the 99/4(a)).

even IBM.  CGA boards, even Compaq's have a 4 pin Berg "RF modulator
connector".