Intel HEX formats

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:08:25 CDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Dennis Boone via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>  > Based on what I find in format83.c, this shouldn't be too much
>  > trouble, but I really want to know what "Intel HEX 83" is supposed to
>  > mean.
>
> The easily findable specification document for "intel hex", which has
> intel branding and copyright, is revision A and dated 1988, so perhaps
> "83" is a reference to the original version's year of publication.

The format is much older than that, and although it's possible that there
may have been a 1983 edition of that document, it seems more likely that
the author of the software in question chose 83 because that was the format
number that Data I/O assigned for use with their device programmers. Data
I/O refers to it as "Intel Intellec 8/MDS". Here's a list of Data I/O
formats recognized by the UniSite/2900/3900 family programmers:

http://ftp.dataio.com/main/Manuals/UniFam/Translation%20Formats.pdf