Speed now & then

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Apr 19 14:42:19 CDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 06:32:59PM -0600, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 4/18/2018 4:47 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk
>> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>> thousands of movies and TV episodes will fit on a 2TB drive. I am anxiously
>>> awaiting higher capacity thin 2.5" SATA.
>> You can get an 8TB drive in 2.5" form factor, but it doesn't contain
>> spinning rust, and it costs around $6000.

alternate.nl, my local boxshifter, is offering a 4TB 2.5" disk for €164.90.
(Whether this price includes the Dutch "you may now pirate all the things"
copyright levy, I don't know.) Sadly, it's both Seagate and shingled-recording.
Okay for backups and similar streaming write-once workloads, but awful as
general-purpose storage.

A common problem with large-capacity 2.5" disks is that they're 15mm high so
don't fit in laptops or similar consumer electronics. 15mm is more of an
enterprise storage standard that has leaked out.

> At one time you could get a $39 aerial up and get free TV like Dr Who..
> Progress seems to be getting rind of the good old and bringing in the $$$.

There's still plenty of free TV out there. Most of it's not even worth what you
paid for it.

[...]
> As for the BBC and other TV networks, we seem to be getting a lot of high
> priced episodes that have like 3 shows per season with a 2 part Christmas
> special mixed in with 90% reality TV.

Given you're quoting prices in dollars, I guess you're talking about the botch
job found on American cable, and the BBC is a rather different beast on its
home turf, where they manage to broadcast more than endless Top Bloody Gear
repeats. In the UK you can just use said cheap UHF aerial to receive it,
although you are supposed to also pay ~£150/year for a TV Licence.