Kaypro II keyboard fault / keyswitches wanted

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:00:30 CDT 2018

On 04/18/2018 06:01 PM, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:
> However, the keyboard appears unresponsive. Pressing keys (with the
> exception of caps-lock, the two shifts, and ctrl) results in a buzz/click
> from within the keyboard - if I'm interpreting the schematics right, the
> click is actually driven by the system in response to a keypress, which
> suggests that my keyswitches are OK (I believe these use a foam disc
> approach, which are prone to deterioration) and that keyboard data is being
> received OK (at least on some low level).

And we're good. It was a simple cable fault. Turns out that while the
system does have the ability to make noise by sending data out to the
keyboard, the keyboard click noise is generated solely within the keyboard
unit - so although my +5V and ground lines on the keyboard cable were fine,
the data line was not, and nothing was ever getting through to the system.

I need to find a better replacement cable - the phone handset cord I'm
using right now is too short - but at least the system seems healthy. Onto
the cosmetics...

cheers

Jules