Speed now & then

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 11:43:19 CDT 2018

> On Apr 11, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 29 March 2018 at 19:53, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> It would be fun to do a "generalized Moore's Law" chart, showing not just transistor count growth (Moore's subject) but also the many other scaling changes of computing: disk capacity, recording density, disk IOPS, disk bandwidth, ditto those for tape, CPU MIPS, memory size, memory bandwidth, network bandwidth...
>
> This is the most telling I've seen in a long time...
>
> https://danluu.com/input-lag/

Nice.  It would be interesting to throw in some even older systems.  One that comes to mind is PLATO.  I don't remember exactly what it delivered for response time, there were good test results on it.  Somewhere in the 100 ms range, I believe, much of which was transmission delays due to low baud rates.  And that was with 600 users, sharing a quad processor 4 x 10 MHz machine, in 1976.

	paul