Seeking software for SGI/Sun dial box (was Re: IBM 6094-010 "Dials" protocol?)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 16:01:34 CDT 2018

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> SN-921
>   https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Sgi_dialbox_sn-921_front.jpg
>
> DANAHER CONTROLS Dials DLS80-1022
>   https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/SGI_dialbox_DLS80-1022_front.jpg

> I'm going to test this code out when I have a dialbox in hand.

I have now tried this and am not having success.  I have a traffic
light on the serial cable and I know I'm getting chars out of the host
and that I don't have TxD and RxD swapped.  I'm not seeing any
initialization and just sits there.  Frobbing the knobs produces no
blinks on the traffic light and no text from the script.

So... I'm digging deeper and I've found two references to some code
from around 2002 that can interact with dialboxes, but the sites are
no longer up and the internet archive did not save the binary archive
files.  I'm asking here in the hope that someone saved copies 10+
years ago when these files were still being served...

In the following thread on the ccp4bb list, there is a mention of
these archives...

[ in http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/ccp4bb/2003/msg00204.html ]

"I'm using SGI dialbox (Part# DLS80-1022) with XFree86 4.0.x under linux,
with modified version of the Joe Krahn's dialbox driver.
You can get the modified version from
  http://www.biochem.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~ishitani/dialbox/dialbox-new.tar.gz
and the original version from
  http://www.geocities.com/joekrahn/ "

So I'm looking for:

  dialbox-new.tar.gz
  dialbox.tgz
  dials.c

Apparently Joe Krahn hasn't done much with Open Source in 15 years
because looking for him has not been fruitful.

Thanks for any bits!

-ethan