Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 13:51:55 CDT 2017

Folks,
 Well I have now found one of Crispin Rope and Mark Priestly's papers on
ENIAC

http://eniacinaction.com/docs/AddressableAccumulators.pdf

It says

"ENIAC's original control method was modified in 1948, after which point its
wires and switches were left mostly untouched while it ran only a single
(but slowly evolving) program: a microcoded interpreter for a virtual von
Neumann architecture machine."

And

"ENIAC's application programs were written as a series of two digit
instruction codes for this virtual machine and loaded into its read-only
function table memory by turning knobs to set digits."

I would therefore argue that "emulation" is as old as computing itself...

Dave Wade
G4UGM

I can't