looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 13:14:02 CDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "tom sparks" <tomasparks.ts at gmail.com>
To: "Mike Stein" <mhs.stein at gmail.com>; "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA

> On 30/10/17 01:22, Mike Stein wrote:
>
>> Radio Shack M100 (if you've got a large pocket); still used by some writers for the very reason you mention.

> I did look at M100 and clones, but I ruled them out, as could not use
> them without extra hardware to get some DOS-like filesystem

The internal file system isn't an issue for most people; the max ~30KB RAM disk (and file) size can be a limiting factor, but like many similar units you transfer files in and out via built-in utilities and an RS232 cable or $10.00 bluetooth dongle to whatever file system is at the other end including Android and the other main OSs.

But as you mentioned, if you otherwise like the unit and can live with an 8x40 (albeit large and very legible) screen, there are various modern expansion options available, including CP/M emulation (under active development).

What makes it still a popular unit are the character size and legibility, the excellent keyboard and the long 4xAA cell battery life; the otherwise identical T102 is a thinner and lighter version.