Cleaning and Restoring a Badly Corroded PSU

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Sat Oct 28 12:47:35 CDT 2017

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > Did you manage to remove this part without destroying it and without
> > damaging the board?
>
>  Yes, in all cases.  I didn't recall any issues with unsoldering this part
> really, using a simple 40W iron and desoldering wick only, and extra flux
> from a pen.

 On second thoughts if solder has corroded, which may well be the case
given the overall state of your PSU, then you will have troubles melting
it, because, obviously, oxides and other compounds which would have formed
won't usually melt as easily as metal.  In that case I suggest trying
mechanical means to remove the contamination and then applying extra
solder to increase its mass in the joint before trying to undo it.

 I do remember having problems with handling corroded joints next to
leaked capacitors in my H7874 PSUs, even though those specific joints
didn't have any way to lose heat easily.

 HTH,

  Maciej