Which Dec Emulation is the MOST useful and Versatile?

Rich Alderson RichA at livingcomputers.org
Wed Oct 25 13:55:17 CDT 2017

From: Noel Chiappa
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:12 AM

>> From: Kip Koon

>> Back in the day when Bill Gates and company 1st started out ... a B/W photo
>> of a young Bill Gates bending over the operator at what looked like a very
>> small computer. Maybe it was just a terminal. I don't remember. I understand
>> they did software development on a DEC PDP of some sort.

> The very earliest version of their BASIC was done on PDP-10's running TOPS-10
> - first the one at Harvard, and then some commercial time-sharing system in
> the Boston area.

Noel, do have a reference for "some commercial time-sharing system in the
Boston area"?  From Paul Allen's autobiography, the Harvard system was followed
immediately by their move to Albuquerque, where they leased time on the local
school board's PDP-10, and that's what my friends who worked for Micro-soft
back then have told me, as well.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer