Pine (was: Re: cctalk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 20)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:36:43 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Richard Loken via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2017, Sean Conner via cctalk wrote:
>
> By gum!  Alpine does indeed translate the 'A' into a '?' and I never
> noticed.  It seems that my tiny mind simply translated the character
> and moved on.
>
>  I have:
>>
>>         LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>         LC_COLLATE=C
>>
>> as part of my environment, and I'm using a font that supports UTF-8...
>>

> And how does one know that a font supports UTF-8?
>
> And yes UTF-8 has been around for decades but as an English speaker I
> didn't have to think about unicode and locale and stuff like that.

I just joined the SunHelp rescue list a few weeks ago, and I've seen
several places where "curly quotes" get replaced by the letter b plus
another character I can't remember off the top of my head. This seems to be
a problem with their list rather than with mutt. I have to say, though,
that curly quotes are a huge problem encodingwise anyway. (It's always nice
to paste in some source code where the nice clean ASCII quotes have been
converted into matching pairs of curly quotes!)

--
        Eric Christopherson