Pine (was: Re: cctalk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 20)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:33:45 CDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:13 AM, Angel M Alganza via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 01:39:32PM -0600,
> (Yes, almost two years ago.  I'm a bit behind with
> my mail, LOL.) Eric Christopherson wrote:
>
> > I'm considering doing something that actually
> > downloads my Gmail content locally and keeps it
> > in sync periodically, but I haven't really
> > looked at what's necessary for that.
>
> Have a look at mbsync/isync if you still haven't
> done anything about it on those two years.  LOL
> It does exactly what you wanted.
>
> Cheers,
> Ángel

Gracias, Ángel.  As a matter of fact I *haven't* done any work on that
front lately. I will be sure to check these out.

I can't remember how long I've been using it (but apparently for at least
two years), but I use Gmail's IMAP via mutt. I know a lot of people like
*pine but when I first started seriously playing around with text-mode
Linux (since I installed it on a system that I figured was too wimpy to
support X) I started using mutt for local and POP/SMTP mail and have always
really liked it.

I use alpine in a shell account on a remote server I use, but I'm always
cursing the way it helpfully offers to automatically archive and/or delete
old messages. I know at least once I've accidentally hit a key giving it
permission to do its thing, with no chance of undoing it. I thought I had
turned that off somehow, but the last time I used it it happened again.

I'm pretty sure the first *nix email client I used was elm. I seem to
remember liking it better than pine, but I don't remember why.

--
        Eric Christopherson