Cloning A Hard Disk Over The Network Using Ultrix

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Oct 23 04:10:07 CDT 2017

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017, Rob Jarratt wrote:

> I have a couple of hard disks I want to make dd copies of. I have Ultrix
> running on my DECstation 5000/240 with the disk I want to clone attached to
> it. The trouble is that I don't have enough disk space on the machine to
> clone the disk and then grab the image using FTP. I have been trying to find
> a way to pipe the dd output over the network to a SIMH Ultrix machine that
> has plenty of disk space. I tried piping dd into rcp, but rcp doesn't seem
> to take input from standard input. I have looked at cpio, but that too
> appears not to accept input from standard input.

You don't use rcp but rsh (or ssh), for example:
# dd if=/dev/... bs=32768 conv=noerror,sync | rsh otherhost "cat >/dest/path"

You should use a bigger blocksize than the default of 512 bytes, otherwise
reading will be quite slow...

Or (my preferred way under UNIX), just mount a remote filesystem via NFS
;-)

Christian